The President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, President Muhammadu Buhari has given Presidential Assent to five Bills in a letter transmitted by Senator (Dr.) Ita Solomon Enang who is the
Presidential liaison to the National Assembly- (Senate) and made available to Naija Politico, the Bills include;
Federal Capital Territory Appropriation Act, 2018.
Nigerian Centre For Disease Control And Prevention ( Establishment ) Act, 2018
Extradition (Amendment ) Act 2018
National Environmental Standard And Regulations Enforcement Agency (Establishment ) (Amendment )Act , 2018
Nigerian Institute Of Mining And Geosciences , Jos ( Establishment ) Act , 2018
His Excellency, President Muhammadu Buhari, GCFR has assented to the Federal Capital Territory Appropriation Act, 2018;
Nigerian Centre For Disease Control And Prevention (Establishment ) Act, 2018; Extradition (Amendment ) Act 2018; National Environmental Standard And Regulations Enforcement Agency ( Establishment ) (Amendment ) Act, 2018 and Nigerian Institute Of Mining and Geosciences , Jos ( Establishment ) Act , 2018 Passed and Transmitted by the National Assembly to Mr. President for assent.
The import of the respective Acts are as hereunder:
1. Federal Capital Territory Appropriation Act, 2018.
The Federal Capital Territory Appropriation Act, 2018 was submitted by Mr. President to the National Assembly.
The Act allows aggregate capital and recurrent Expenditure of N371, 532,518,887 (Three hundred and seventy one Billion, five hundred and thirty two million, five hundred and eighteen thousand eight hundred and eighty seven kobo) up to the financial year ending December 31, 2018.
- NIGERIA CENTRE FOR DISEASE CONTROL AND PREVENTION (ESTABLISHMENT ACT, 2018)
This Act is aimed at promoting, coordinating and facilitating the prevention, detection and Control of Communicable diseases and other public health emergencies in Nigeria.
The Act, submitted by Mr. President as Executive Bill on October 17, 2017 to the National Assembly is to:
(1) Develop, maintain and coordinate surveillance systems to collect, analyse and interpret data on diseases of public health importance , in order to detect public health threats, guide health intervention and set public health priorities;
(2) lead the response to disease outbreaks, public health emergencies and disasters in order to minimize the impact on health;
(3) Develop and maintain a network of reference and specialized laboratories for pathogen detection, disease surveillance and outbreak response;
(4) Develop and maintain guidelines and processes for specimen collection and transportation to reference laboratories including the World Health Organisation (WHO) standard reference laboratories in Nigeria;
(5) Provide information to the public through multiple platforms on diseases and public health events;
(6) Provide support and coordinate the control of national and trans-border responses to mass public health emergencies, such as mass casualties, floods, nuclear, biological and chemical terrorism, disease outbreaks and heavy metals poisoning, among others.
Extradition (Amendment) Act, 2018:
This Act vests jurisdiction on extradition proceedings now on the Federal High Court and no more the Magistrates Court or Magistrates.
The amendment further introduces a new section 15(2) preventing double jeopardy as protected by Section 36(9) of the Constitution which prevents a person surrendered to Nigeria in accordance with extraction treaty; obligation from being arrested , detained ,extradited or otherwise dealt with in Nigeria or any other country within the Commonwealth or any other country having same extraditing agreement with Nigeria , if the proceedings relates to an offence for which he has been previously convicted or acquitted in the requesting country for which extradition is sought by the Nigerian authorities .
National Environmental Standard and Regulations Enforcement Agency (Establishment) (Amendment) Act, 2018
This Act is an amendment to the 2007 Act and more succinctly Defines matters of appointment to the council, empowers the Agency or appropriate person to cause immediate abatement of imminent environmental pollution while appropriate warrant or court order is sought to ensure public safety, among others.
Nigerian Institute Of Mining and Geosciences, Jos (Establishment) Act, 2018.
This law establishes the institute to:
Provide courses of instruction , training and research in geosciences and mining and produce technicians and such skilled personnel normally required for the mining and related industries;
Provide for both the public and private sectors alike, laboratory services for rock and mineral identification , sampling and mineral beneficiation, mineral and metallurgical analysis;
(f) Conduct research in mining, quarrying and related industries;
(i) Provide skilled training for the artisanal and small scale mining operators; among others.